Sunday 6 December 2009

The Plan

There's no more reasons for me to stay in a place that doesn't welcome me, a place that is a prison to me, a place where I can't be who I want to be, because of its laws and bureaucracy amongst others, therefore, lesson Learned and Move on.
 
Since some of my grandparents are of Italian ancestry, I decided to get recognized as an Italian descendent.
I decided to do it through my maternal grandmother, Baba, who is the daughter of my Italian Great-grandparents.

My bisnonno, Pietro and my bisnonna, Carolina, left Italy when WWI was over and my bisnonno returned home.  They migrated to Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1926, where they met and married.  Two years later, they gave birth to a son and two years after that, they gave birth to a daughter, my grandmother, Baba.

My great-grandparents never renunced to their Italian citizenship by becoming Argentine citizens, they lived and died Italian.  My grandmother on the other hand, never becaome an Italian citizen, even though she is one by birth.  Most of the times when we speak on the phone I ask her, but she never gives me an answer, she would say..."I don't want it", or "Why do I need it?", what is strange is that I know for a fact that she always wanted to visit Italy, and never could.

I know that in order to visit Italy a citizenship is not required, but it doesn't hurt having it, specially if you want to travel freely through out the European Union.

But I guess she might have her reasons, although, I don't think I will ever know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger